Snapshot: Canadian business writer. Writing and speaking on risk, strategy, energy, and law. Unique voice; unparalleled skill in “translating” the most complex of issues into compelling, engaging stories.
Interested in: Writing and speaking opportunities. Short-term contracts.
Alberta Venture and its sister publications (2002-2015).
- Monthly column, 2013, 2014, 2015 Strategy Session: top-of-mind management topics for the C-Suite.
- Monthly column, 2011, 2012, Legal Eagles: legal issues pertinent to Alberta business.
- Features on business of law, human resources, energy, education. Nominated for several AMPA and WMPA awards.
Thomson Reuter’s Lexpert: the business magazine for lawyers (2000-2013).
- Contributed to virtually every issue of the magazine, and most of its spin-offs, for more than 12 years.
- Flagship column, Last Word, most widely read page of magazine.
- Wrote on all aspects of law. Nominated for NMA and the prestigious (in my field) KRW awards.
The Globe and Mail and The National Post (2005-2010).
- Headhunted by The National Post to bolster The Legal Post.
- Subsequently recruited by The Globe and Mail to bring Western voice to its Law Page.
Sample of Additional Platforms
Canadian Business, Avenue, Enterprise, WestWorld, Rebuilding Success
Accounting firms, law firms, investment banks, lobbyists, public relation firms, public education institutions. Names and work sample of some may be disclosable under certain conditions; however, most of my corporate work is covered by tight non-disclosure agreements.
MA, anthropology, The University of Calgary (2000)
BA, anthropology, The University of Calgary (1995)
Past Work History
Marketing Director/Communications Leader, Bennett Jones LLP (1998-2000).
Business English/Writing Instructor, Pusan, South Korea (1996-1997).
Editor, Research Links, Parks Canada’s Science and Management Publication (1994-1996).
Editor, The Gauntlet, the University of Calgary’s independent student newspaper (1993-1994).
Volunteering and personal passions
Member, Sunnyhill Housing Co-operative, Chair, SHC Member Selection Committee, Member, SHC Social Committee
Creative non-fiction blogger, Nothing By The Book
Education blogger, Undogmatic Unschoolers
Presenter, performer, and support volunteer, Rising Above: Sunnyside School/Trickster Theatre Flood Anniversary Project.
Volunteer Coordinator for Sunnyhill, Flood 2013
Delegate, Canadian Federation of Co-operative Housing
Coach, Alberta Women’s Black Belt Team, Chinook Taekwon-do Women’s Green Belt Team
Instructor, Chinook Taekwon-do, University of Calgary
Captain, Alberta Women’s Black Belt Team
Volunteer, Emily’s Backyard, Alberta Children’s Hospital
Available upon request; some sample recommendations viewable on my LinkedIn Profile.